No matter how much I prepare, Thanksgiving always seems to sneak up on me. This year, I wanted to create a gift for my dinner quests which serves the purpose of both a place card at the table and coaster for their drink of choice. I found these great wood bark coasters from World Market. Or if you live in a woodsy area (not exactly Phoenix) and have some nice branches to repurpose, those would be beautiful too (just make sure to dust them off).
DIY WOOD BURNED PLACE CARD COASTERS
Wood bark coasters
Wood burning tool
1. attach the cone point tip to your wood burning tool (mine came with several options, but I wanted more control and cleaner lines for lettering).
2. plug it in and allow it to heat up (follow instructions on the package).
3. once it’s hot, practice on scrap wood to get a feel for how to hold the tool and how hard to press for the results you’d like.
4. next, use a pencil to lightly draw names onto the coasters.
5. start tracing over your pencil design with the wood burning tool until it’s complete.
6. go back over areas you feel need a little more work and erase any pencil marks if needed.
Here are just a few that I created for myself, husband and little ones. Just remember to have fun crafting! Be sure to stop by Baked by Joanna for some great Thanksgiving recipes too.